Tenant FAQs


Whether you’re about to buy your first investment property or you already own several, chances are you still have a handful of questions regarding the management of your property. We’ve answered some of the more common questions we get asked below.

If you would like to find out more about having Robert Manning Lettings London take care of the management of your investment property, please contact us.

Do you accept Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit claimants are considered on a case by case basis at the discretion of the landlord, and usually only with a home-owning, working guarantor.

Will I still need to be referenced if I am on Benefits?

Yes, referencing will still need to be carried out to ensure you have no CCJs, previous tenancy problems or current rent arrears. All tenants regardless of circumstances have to undergo referencing.

What happens if my credit score shows CCJs?

The only way we would be able to proceed to let a property to you is with six months rent paid in advance or a home-owning, working guarantor who can be referenced.

Will I still be required to pay a deposit if receiving benefits?

Yes, a deposit is still required. In some circumstances, the local council will pay the deposit in the form of a bond. This is assessed by them on a case-by-case basis, so you should get in touch with them directly if you’re interested in knowing more.

How can I find out how much Housing Benefit I am entitled to?

Your local council will be able to inform you what (if any) amount of local housing allowance you are entitled to based on your personal circumstances.

What type of tenancy agreement will I have?

The overwhelming majority of tenants have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST), but there are some exceptions.

How long can I sign up for?

We recommend that you start with a 6 month agreement. At the end of the first 6 months – providing both you and your Landlord are happy – then we can issue a longer agreement.

Who is responsible for the gardens?

Tenants are responsible for keeping the gardens maintained unless there is a clause drawn up in the tenancy agreement to state otherwise.

Does the landlord have to supply the property with white goods (i.e. kitchen appliances)?

No, the landlord is not obliged to provide these items, the only item a landlord is asked to provide is a cooker. If a property is rented with white goods (such as when they are built into the kitchen) then the landlord is usually obliged to maintain them.

Will my deposit be protected?

Yes, we always protect your deposit in an appointed scheme if legally required. Some types of rental may fall outside these rules and in these cases the deposit will not be protected.

When will I be required to pay my deposit?

Your deposit must be paid in full either before or on the date of move-in cleared funds (cash or bank transfer). We do not take any kind of cheque under any circumstances.

What day each month will my rent be due?

Your rent is normally due on your move-in date each month. Should you wish to change this to fit in with payday or some other convenient time this can be arranged. All rent payments must be made via standing order. We don’t come to collect rent.

Will inspections be carried out on the property during my tenancy?

Yes, we generally carry out quarterly inspections. These also give you an opportunity to give us feedback about the property and your tenancy.

Who do I report maintenance issues to?

All maintenance issues need to be reported to us via our website or our office number. Should the problem arise out of hours, please ensure it is of an urgent nature before ringing our out of hours number.

How much notice will I be required to give should I wish to move out?

We require a full month’s notice before or on the due date of your rent. You cannot move out during the period your tenancy contracted start and end dates unless you pay rent due up to the end of the tenancy.

What is the tenancy set up fee?

The tenancy set up fee includes the cost of referencing – which will cover checking your credit status, previous employer, current or past landlords, and taking into account any other information to help assess the affordability of your tenancy application. The fee also includes providing a Tenancy Agreement and protecting your security deposit with a government deposit protection scheme. Further details can be found at https://www.depositprotection.com/

Am I allowed pets at the property?

This is done on a case by case basis and is at the landlord’s discretion – we would also ask that a small extra ‘pet deposit’ is paid to cover any damage done by the pet.

Am I allowed to decorate the property?

This is a decision that has to be put before the landlord. Any requests to make alterations to the property in any way must be put in writing giving full details of the intended changes.

Should the landlord wish me to move out, how much notice will I be given?

The landlord is required to give two months’ notice on or before the due date of your rent and cannot give notice that you must move out within the written start and end dates of the tenancy.

When do I pay the tenancy set up fee?

After a viewing and when you have decided to apply for the property. We will provide you with a Tenancy Fee Declaration form which lists the services we provide and the fees that are payable. You will then be asked for your tenancy set up payment, which will be offset against the total amount payable on the day you sign the tenancy agreement and move into your new home. Any additional fees that may be applicable to you, for example a guarantor fee, will be collected on the day that you sign your tenancy agreement along with your rental and security deposit payment.

What other fees may be payable before I can move into the property of my choice?

This covers the cost of processing the application and associated paperwork for any additional applicants.

Depending on the outcome from your application from the referencing company, your earnings or overall financial position may require you to provide a Guarantor. This is not uncommon, and means you have someone on your behalf that undergoes credit referencing – to ensure they have sufficient earnings to cover the overall rent commitments in the event that you, as the tenant, are unable to pay your rent. This fee is payable in respect of each Guarantor to cover credit referencing costs and providing a Deed of Guarantee as part of the Tenancy Agreement, which details their obligations as a Guarantor.